1. Suffering from unrealistic expectations and Fairy Tale thinking. You’ll be disappointed with any partner, regardless of who they are.
2. Not trusting your inner warnings about red flags early on. Is he too controlling, jealous, demanding, possessive, intimidating, addicted, aloof, insincere or deceitful?
3. Carrying too much past relationship baggage into a new relationship. Is he paying the price for issues in your former relationship that you haven’t cleared?
4. Settling because you don’t believe there’s anyone much better out there. Or believing you don’t deserve a better partner.
5. Not honoring your personal boundaries. Giving up your life, friends, values and interests for a man – any man!
6. Treating your guy like a girlfriend. Men don’t relate to talking, shopping and sharing the way women do. Don’t expect him to be your gal pal.
7. Being sexually intimate too soon. Men don’t run after a bus they’re already on! Let him feel you’re a special catch.
8. Getting a sexually transmitted disease. STDs are increasing most dramatically in middle-aged women who don’t ask questions, test and check before moving into sex.
Rosalind Sedacca, CCT is a Dating & Relationship Coach, co-author of 99 Things Women Wish They Knew Before Dating After 40, 50 & Yes, 60! and the Create Your Ideal Relationship Kit for women (WomenDatingAfter40.com), the DatingRescue eCourse for women (Womendatingrescue.com) and Mastering the Challenges of Dating: Success Strategies for Men (mensdatingformula.com).